Top 6 Reasons to use a Faraday Bag
What is a Faraday bag?
A Faraday bag isn’t just to protect your devices from an EMP. It also blocks all signals from going in or out of the bag (these signals are used by contactless credit cards, vehicle key fobs, cell phones, etc.). The FBI uses them to secure data from devices so they cannot be tampered with. It is essentially military-grade isolation for your data.
Why do I need one?
- To protect devices from remote relay theft. Car thieves can hack your key fobs to steal your vehicle. Keeping them in a faraday bag when you’re not driving can prevent that. Protecting your E-Z pass is also an option.
- Keeping your contactless credit cards in a faraday bag will protect them from being hacked remotely. Thieves using physical card skimmers are much more likely, but you can’t be too careful these days.
- Your phone can also be hacked and data stolen remotely. You should always use a VPN and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned off when you’re in public away from home, but using a faraday bag, especially when traveling, is a sure-fire way to protect your data.
- Don’t want to be tracked when going from Point A to Point B? Put your phone in a Faraday bag. Simply turning it off is not good enough, according to NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, who knows a little something about cyber security.
- Faraday Bags protect devices from EMP pulses, so keeping your backup devices in them can save you if there is ever an EMP or larger solar flare.
- If you use a cryptocurrency cold storage wallet, storing it in a faraday bag will keep it secure. Some people also store their private wallet keys on a separate device from their cold storage wallet, and those should be protected as well.
Faraday Bags VS. EMP Protection bag
- A Faraday bag will block all radio signals, including WiFi, 4G, 5G, Bluetooth, etc.
- An EMP protection bag is made more for protection against EMPs, not so much for blocking all signals.
- Using a >40 dB attenuation from an EMP Protection bag would be ideal for putting backup items in to protect them; laptops, computers, solar battery banks and chargers, flashlights, etc.
- A true Faraday should have a >80 dB attenuation to effectively block all signals.
We carry a great selection of Faraday Bags and EMP Protection bags HERE